It’s fresh, inoffensive and the best part? You probably already have it in your fridge.
Victoria Beckham is a firm believer in the Alkaline Diet, Jennifer Lopez apparently swears by the Dukan Diet, Gwyneth Paltrow follows the Macrobiotic Diet, and Demi Moore credits the Raw Food Diet to maintaining her youthful looks.
When it comes to celebrity diets, it seems as though every A-lister has a different approach, however one ingredient that is a common denominator in all Hollywood diets is the humble cucumber.
Professor Robyn McConchie, Professor of Horticulture and Pro-Dean at the University of Sydney says, “Cucumbers are the fourth most cultivated vegetable in the world, and one of the most loved superfoods, with good reason. They contain hydrating properties, valuable nutrients and are particularly low-calorie, making it a solid staple in any and every diet.”
Here are five reasons why celebs are eating cucumbers:
1. It assists with weight loss. There’s no doubt weight loss is the main reason celebrities diet, and with cucumbers being made up of 95 per cent water, it’s easy to see why they are a staple ingredient. They’re a great low calorie snack to curb hunger and keep hydrated. In fact, Jennifer Aniston swears by eating a cucumber salad consisting of three medium cucumbers daily to keep her healthy and hydrated, the benefits clearly proven with her glowing complexion.
2. It helps hide any big nights out. Had a few too many? We’ve all been there! Luckily, cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in balance. There’s no doubt that many celebrities live by the ‘work hard, play hard’ philosophy, so eating cucumber before bed is an easy method they use to wake up headache and hangover free!
3. It helps to eradicate cellulite. Celebrities, like most of us, dread ageing and the cellulite that comes with it. Luckily, cucumbers are an effective way to remove unwanted cellulite, as they draw out the excess fluids and tighten the collagen in your skin. So simply eating, or placing a piece of cucumber on your skin, will work as a natural cellulite reduction method.
4. They help you stress less. Life can get quite overwhelming, and stress is a huge issue when it comes to maintaining both weight and a sense of wellbeing. An easy way to relieve anxiety is to cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water. The chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma. How’s that for a quick and easy stress reliever?
5. It makes your skin glow. The natural ascorbic acid and caffeic acid within cucumbers act to prevent water retention in the skin, meaning it works to reduce swelling under the eyes and helps skin heal from inflammation, helping achieve a fresh and youthful complexion.
October 10, 201610:48am