A few simple ingredients, one winning dish.
This is one of my favourite dishes when I’m entertaining! It’s so easy to throw together, with just a few simple ingredients – and tastes absolutely divine! Herbs and spices, like za’atar and mint, are one of the best ways to add flavour to a dish without extra oils or nasties! Asparagus is a great source of fibre, folate and vitamins as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from bloodstream into cells – the more you know! Serve this dish as an accompaniment to your main or vegetarian option.
Serves: 2 as a main, 4 as a side
• 250g good quality halloumi cheese
• 2 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
• 1 tbsp za’atar spice
• 2 bunches of asparagus
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
• 5-6 mint leaves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°.
2. Arrange asparagus on a lined baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle over chilli flakes. Season with sea salt and pepper and add to oven. Roast for 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, slice haloumi pieces lengthways (1-2cm wide). Sprinkle each piece with za’atar spice and sea salt.
4. Heat remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add haloumi to pan and fry until each side is golden (3-4 minutes). Set aside.
5. On a serving platter, arrange halloumi and asparagus. Drizzle asparagus with lemon juice and garnish with mint leaves.
October 12, 201611:43am